Attractions

  • Cathedral of Syracuse

    Address:
    Cattedrale metropolitana della Natività di Maria Santissima, Piazza Duomo, Syracuse, Province of Syracuse, Italy .

    The Cathedral of Syracuse, formally the Cattedrale metropolitana della Natività di Maria Santissima, is an ancient Catholic church in Syracuse, Sicily, the seat of the Catholic Archdiocese of Siracusa. Its structure is originally a Greek doric temple, and for this reason it is included in a UNESCO World Heritage Site designated in 2005. The cathedral stands in the city's historic core on Ortygia Island.

  • Arethusa Spring

    Address:
    Arethusa Spring, Largo Aretusa, Syracuse, Province of Syracuse, Italy .

    The Fountain of Arethusa is a natural fountain on the island of Ortygia in the historical centre of the city of Syracuse in Sicily. According to Greek mythology, the fresh water fountain is the place where the nymph Arethusa, the patron figure of ancient Syracuse, returned to earth's surface after escaping from her undersea home in Arcadia. The fountain is mentioned in a number of works of literature, for instance John Milton’s pastoral elegy Lycidas and his masque Arcades, as well as Alexander Pope’s satire The Dunciad and William Wordsworth's blank verse poem The Prelude. These writers would have known the fountain from references in ancient Roman and Greek sources, such as Virgil's 10th Eclogue and Theocritus' pastoral poem Idylls. Virgil reckons the eponymous nymph as the divinity who inspired bucolic or pastoral poetry. In Moby-Dick, Herman Melville writes that waters from the fountain were said to come from the Holy Land. The Fountain of Arethusa, the river Ciane, south of Syracuse, and the river Fiume Freddo in the province of Catania are the only places in Europe where papyrus grows.

  • Castello Maniace

    Address:
    Castello Maniace, Via Castello Maniace, Syracuse, Province of Syracuse, Italy .

    The Castello Maniace is a citadel and castle in Syracuse, Sicily, southern Italy. It is situated at the far point of the Ortygia island promontory, where it was constructed between 1232 and 1240 by the Emperor Frederick II. It bears the name of George Maniakes, the Byzantine general who besieged and took the city in 1038. Originally, one could only enter the castle over a bridge spanning a moat. A feature of the castle is the decorated portal. Today the castle is open to public and is a local tourist attraction in Syracuse.

  • Temple of Apollo

    Address:
    Temple of Apollo, Largo XXV Luglio, Siracusa, Province of Syracuse, Italy .

    The Temple of Apollo is one of the most important ancient Greek monuments on Ortygia, in front of the Piazza Pancali in Syracuse, Sicily, Italy.

  • Syracuse Roman Amphitheatre

    Address:
    Syracuse Roman Amphitheater, Via Luigi Bernabò Brea, Syracuse, Province of Syracuse, Italy .

    The Roman amphitheatre of Syracuse is one of the best preserved structures in the city of Syracuse, Sicily, from the early Imperial period